16 June 2009

A Simple Thought

"Thank you for spending the time to read my thoughts".
- Dionne Yeo -

Creating this serious weblog as part of my assesment was truly a great learning process for me. I have learnt to understand that blogging is not merely a place where someone pens down his/her thought in a diary-like form but it is also a place where communities are form.

I have learned to be diligent, patient, disciplined and focused as the creation of this blog proved to be tedious at times. Also, I have improved myself in my research process, as much research and background information had to be attained fto build this site.

One of the theoretical positions I developed during the development of this blog is the complex interplay of words and pictures. As a document designer, one must be able to combine the elements of text and image in a smooth blend in order to create a coherent meaningand good flow. This is justified by Schriver (1997) as she noted that document designers are expected to integrate the visual and verbal as well as cross the disciplinary gulch between writing and design.

In my opinion, bloggers should write ethically to avoid defamation. However, he/she must not hold back the truth when discussing any issues. A blogger shold pay attention to certain background and culture to avoid troubles. Internet sites vary in the modes they use, but they have the potential to combine words and images in complex structures (Walsh, 2006).



References:

Schriver, KA 1997, ‘The Interplay of Words and Pictures’, Dynamics in Document Design: Creating Text for Readers', Wiley Computer Pub, New York.

Walsh, M 2006, The textual shift: examining the reading process with print, visual and multimodal texts, Australian Journal of Language and Literacy, vol.29, no.1, pp. 24-37.

No comments:

Post a Comment